- 375g of soft butter
- 750g plain flour
- A touch of warm water
- 2 red onions
- 1 tablespoon of garlic
- 8 juniper berries
- One bay leaf
- 2kg Curtis Pitts Deer Services Wild Game Pie Mix
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 300ml of red wine
- 300ml port
- Water to cover the meat
- Rub the soften butter in to the plain flour until it resembles breadcrumbs then gradually introduce the warm water until a smooth combine mixture is formed.
- Kneed the pastry on a clean work surface and let rest.
- Whilst the pasty is resting begin on the glorious game pie mix .
- Sauté of 2 red onions in and add a touch of garlic.
- Once sautéed off add red wine, water, juniper berries and bay leaf.
- Leave the game pie mix to simmer for a few hours.
- Once the meat is beautiful and tender mix a gravy thicker (or a little flour) with port and and to the mix.
- Roll the pastry out in the pie tin and bake blind.
- Once baked add the game pie filling and roll out the top of the pie.
- Crimp the edges and egg wash.
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then reduce the heat to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4 for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden and risen and the filling is piping hot.
- Once cooked let the pie cool down and cut in to slices and serve.