Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 3h 20m
- 2 x fallow shanks (approx 700g each)
- 400ml coconut milk
- 250g Thai Massaman paste
- 2 pint chicken stock
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 10 baby new potatoes
- 100g peanuts, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Red chillies, sliced (optional)
- 4 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- Preheat oven to 16°c (fan assisted).
- Chop the onions and cut potatoes in half then pop them in the bottom of a large casserole/roasting tray.
- Place the venison shanks on top.
- In a large bowl combine the coconut milk, chicken stock and Massaman paste then pour over the shanks.
- Cover with foil and cook for 2 hours then remove the foil and cook uncovered for a further hour.
- Once cooked, remove the shanks and cover with foil. Pour some of the sauce into a saucepan and add the cornflour/water slurry to thicken over a medium heat.
- Cook the rice as per guidelines.
- When you are ready to serve, plate up with rice and place the shank on top (you can also cut the meat off the bone and dice it).
- Pour the thickened sauce on top and garnish with peanuts, coriander and chillies.